Kit, Training and Motivation

Not the best start to the Year, I have still not managed to get out running due to my leg but today I took off my support and all seems good so fare so fingers crossed I will be out and about at the weekend. I hope so anyway, I have a video analysis session to see if I can improve the efficiency of my running which I hope will help prevent injury in the future.
Although I have not been running, never fear, I still feel fairly fit and I have been busy pushing myself fairly hard at the gym. I have hogged my old friend the rowing machine and bike at Virgin active Clapham most evenings (don’t tell them I ignore the 20 Minute max signs, an hour and 20 minutes is how I read it). Don’t know what they will say when I turn up to Run a full marathon on the treadmill, 6 layers and a backpack full of weights, we will hopefully soon find out. I am sure it will accurately re-create the Sahara heat and I stole a bit of Sand from Filey beach to put in my trainers.
I am actually really excited, my main pieces of Kit, Trainers, OMM back pack and Compression shorts, are all sat ready and waiting to be tried out and my entry is in for the London Ultra Marathon on the 19th of February. I will let you know how my first taste of Ultra Marathon running turns out once I cross the finish line, hopefully 10Kg pack and leg still in toe.
More than that, I am actually really excited that I am running the Marathon Des Sables for Springboard for Children. I gave a talk today at the team meeting, and am so happy to be supporting such a great group of people, I felt quite embarrassed at one point when I receiving thanks for doing it. I am spending 6 days in the desert; most of the people at the meeting have given up years of their time to supporting the children which, with out there help will not have the opportunities which I have had.
I was asked why I am doing it. I initially signed up this November out of stupidity as my friend said instead of sponsoring me £25 for running a marathon he would sponsor me much more to run 6. So I am now running 6 back to back marathons – I expect a big check. What really motivates me is a sense of competitiveness which I mentioned in my last blog. As a child I suffered suavely with Dyslexia and Arthritis in my knees. Not only could I not play contact sport, I also struggled academically; it really can be tough having a reading age of a 5 year old and very poor short term memory when you get to the later years of secondary school. I had a great group of people, family, friends and teachers, which supported me and allowed me to excel in the things I was good at [I now have a Masters in Engineering from a good uni and found a love for rowing (ok, maybe I did not excel at rowing, but still really please to have made a few rounds at Henley.)]
Because I had to work harder as a child to prove myself, I still carry that with me as an adult. I do think that this is an advantage in some respects. Like everything life is never straight forward, but I do truly believe that if you have the will and determination with the right support around you can achieve whatever the obstacles.
So I am putting this to the test, running the Marathon Des Sables is tough enough for anyone, add in Arthritis in both knees and a shoulder and only 3 months training, and setting myself the challenge of a top 20% finish, let’s see if this works.
An apology for the length of the blog today; has been a reflective day.
On a running front, if anyone made it to the end and has suggestions for a training plan I am just working on one now and help would be appreciated. Also great if people could let me know if they want it to be all running/ training or a bit of a mix with the emotional journy too - Click comment.

2 comments:

  1. dear Steven, I hope you have a good time runing. What food are you having in the desert? from Malachi, age 8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Malachi,

    Thank you, do you like to run and play sport?

    When I am in the desert I will be eating a lot of nuts and dried food like space food which has lots of energy. I am also going to take a packet of jelly babies because I will need a lot of sugar and salt to keep going. Steven

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment